Sunday, July 26, 2009

Damp Camp

   Oh yes, another camping weekend. This time to Rasmussen and Quiante Lake. It started off with Nathan taking the 2 older kids on a five hour hike to some fabulous-fishing lake, leaving me with Emma and Mason. Now that would be fine except for the five small rain showers in the five hours they were gone. Imagine five hours in a tent with a baby.

Oh
Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
Nightmare

   Moving on to stew, smores and then bedtime.  Mason was in his port-a-crib super hyper due to no nap and a sugar high from the smores. Nathan and I were on the mattresses with Emma smooshed in the middle. Tyler and Hailey at our feet arguing about who has the most room. And then the stew began to make it's "second appearance". I refuse to say who had this little (actually enormous...and wicked-foul) problem but let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. 
   After everyone fell asleep I thought, "This is the most wonderful feeling in the world." I loved those 5 people in my tent more than ever. Thank you Heavenly Father for the most perfect family for me. I suppose camping in nature brings that fierce love out. 
   It rained the whole night which made for a very comforting sleep. The next morning I watched everyone wake up with puffy eyes and helmut hair, including Mason who somehow managed to wake up still on that sugar high. He immediately started jumping on everyone and yelling like a banshee. We ate "breakfast in bed" (still wet outside) and then we all got dressed and went on a hike. Nathan led us up to another lake to fish a while and on the way back he started talking about when HIS parents took him there at age 16 and found a wild strawberry patch. Lo and behold we looked down and found tons of wild strawberries. We spent a good 30 minutes eating tiny and super sweet strawberries. Tyler said it was his favorite camping trip ever. :)