Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mason update 1

It's Stacey here. I am home for a few hours from the hospital since Jamie is there with Mason. I have no internet service there so I can't get on often and when I am home I try and spend every second with the other kids, but I did want to say the support I feel from my family, Nate's family, the ward, and our friends is so unbelievably comforting and a true strength for us.
Mason is reacting well to the antibiotics, and we will be there finishing the cycle of antibiotics at the hospital until March 28th. Mason will have a CT scan on his brain on Friday to figure out if he has E-coli Meningitis which is when there is an infection in the brain. He is being treated for it until we know just to take the precaution. It was spread by his blood which has the infection, but we do know through tests that his kidneys and bladder are working great. If I can ask for a specific thing for any prayers on his behalf it is that:
*The 3 usable veins Mason has left will be able to last until the 28th with 3 more i.v's. If any collapse then there is a chance that we will have to take him to Primary Hospital in Salt Lake and have a pediatric surgeon insert the i.v. since we can't take the chance of running out of veins or having them collapse. (For those of you who know picc lines, we tried one yesterday and Mason had to be sedated to do it. It is a very delicate procedure and frustratingly enough the vein did collapse and it didn't work.)
Our doctors say we are preparing for the worse but we have to stay optimistic. Nathan and I are taking it day by day. I will give another update when I can.